Friday, January 17, 2014

Coming Out of the Broom Closet: Part 2; Advantages, Disadvantages, Is it Right for You?

The decision to out yourself as a Pagan/Wiccan/Witch is highly personal, and every situation is unique to the individual. Certain matters have to be taken into account, and one must determine if it's really for the best.

Pros:
Being out can be a great thing. No secrecy, no tiptoeing around, freedom, liberation. It also makes it easier to find and be found by like minded people to connect with. There's a great weight lifted off your shoulders once the worry of someone finding out on terms you didn't plan on is taken away.

Cons:
You may be worried about the consequences of certain people having this information. This is why I chose to post on your legal rights before this one. You should never live in fear of losing you kids/job/etc. over your religious beliefs, but for some this is a terrifying threat,

Even if consequences aren't so dramatic, certain friends or family members may not always be so accepting to the information. While they may pleasantly surprise you, carefully consider you decision before outing yourself to certain types of people.

Is it right for you?
Employment- Do you plan to out yourself to your co-workers? How well do you know them to gauge their reaction? How about your boss? Will you be putting yourself at risk for discrimination, and should (goddess forbid) that happen, are you prepared for that battle?

Family- Families can have all sorts of reactions. Some may be accepting, some will choose to ignore it, some will engage it, others will try to fight it. Realistically, what is your family likely to do? Each person as an individual? Would it be best to come out to them all at once, or take it slow, one person at a time? And if you do want to come out gradually, can they be trusted to keep your secret?

Your Personal Feelings- Be honest with yourself. In how high of a regard do you hold other people's opinions? As a whole? Each person individually? How much would it hurt you if someone you loved shunned you when you opened yourself to them? Are you prepared for that possibility? Yes, it's easy for many to say they don't care about the opinions of others but in reality when it comes to people we care about we are often quite affected when they dont seem to care about us as much as we thought they did. Really be truthful with yourself. 

My family knows my religion, and my mother has mocked me. Even as much as I loathe the woman and could care less what she thinks of me and my life, it still boiled my blood to hear to say the things she did  about my faith. It was hard. But to be honest, i'm glad I overcame it. For me, personally, I like to be upfront with everyone about who I am and what my deal is. But this is not for everyone.

Do some soul searching. I love being out of the broom closet, I really do, it's the best decision I ever made, but one of the hardest.
   
Have you come out of the broom closet? How was your experience? If you're still in, why, and do you have any plans to come out?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *